Fudge | Cranberry | Brown Sugar | Cheesecake | Mint
Make Brownies here: we have a variety for you to choose from.
Brownies are always delicious especially if they are homemade, where ingredients are understood and controlled and batches are adapted for family likes, dislikes and size.
We have a good selection so why not make brownies with our recipes, soon.
But first...a little history:
What is the history of brownies? Who baked the first one? Did it contain chocolate? Every baked good has its own history and background and brownie recipes are no different.
Brownies have come a long way since the 1800’s when it is thought the first brownie recipe was accidentally discovered.
Since then, people have created their own deliciously moist versions of brownies that include everything from chocolate, white chocolate, nuts, dried fruit, coconut, and much more.
There’s really no end to what you can do with brownies!
History of Brownies Timeline
Many people prefer brownies to cake because of their chewy, fudgy consistency. They’re popular for just about any occasion, but are especially popular at events where eating with your fingers is perfectly acceptable behavior.
Brownies still fit in at fancier events, but you’ll probably see guests using their forks instead of fingers.Did you know?
- Chocolate was available only to the rich for many years due to cost.
- Cocoa powder was discovered in 1828.
- One historical record says that the first brownie to appear in public was in the year 1893 at the Chicago, Illinois Columbian Exposition. The chef credited with the brownie recipe is unnamed, but supposedly worked at the Palmer House Hotel in Chicago. According to some sources, the original version of the brownie made with walnuts and an apricot glaze is still offered to guests at the Palmer House Hotel today.
- Some historical accounts say the first brownie recipe appeared in 1905 in a cookbook called “Boston Cooking-School Cook Book” and was credited to a lady by the name of Fannie Merritt Farmer.
- Still other accounts say that the brownie originated in Bangor, Maine.
- Brownies became very popular by the 1920’s and just about everyone, regardless of financial status, was able to afford chocolate in order to make brownies.
- It is thought by some that the first brownie contained no chocolate whatsoever!
There are many legends surrounding the history of brownies, but no one knows for certain which historical account is true.
However, we do know that brownie recipes now abound and have been family favorites for years. Recipes are passed down from generation to generation and will likely continue to evolve and change as the years go by, giving us even more versions of the ever-popular brownie.
Okay....here are some worth trying...just CLICK and Go...Fudge Brownies
Cranberry Coconut Brownies
Brown Sugar Brownies
Return To Home Page from Make Brownies